Borderlands 3 is a role-playing game just like the previous installments, so you can easily guess that it’s full of the usual gameplay mechanics that RPG games usually offer.
One of these elements is the ability to level up which applies to each of your characters and how powerful they become eventually determines the level of weapons that they can use – which allows you to take on powerful threats.
All good things come to an end, and that applies to leveling up in Borderlands 3 too since the game can’t allow you to level up infinitely. That’s why there’s a max level cap for every character in the game that you can reach, and once you’re at that level you can no longer gain experience points or unlock new skills.
And of course, reaching the maximum level will allow you to use every single weapon in the game too, and make you powerful enough to face off against the biggest enemies and bosses.
So, what is the max level cap in Borderlands 3?
The answer to this question can be difficult to keep track of because the game’s max level cap is often changed with updates and DLC. That’s why we’ve created a thorough guide of the maximum level capacity in Borderlands 3 so that your precious time is saved. So, let’s answer that question right away!
Borderlands 3 Max Level Cap
As mentioned above, Borderlands 3 has a maximum level capacity that makes it impossible to gain further experience or skills after a certain point.
However, there is a secondary type of XP that you can gain in the game that goes towards your Guardian Rank – and that one is kind of infinite as it allows you to increase your Vault Hunter’s statistics and gain rewards catered towards this progression system.
So, even when you have leveled up completely the second method allows you to feel a sense of progression nonetheless.
But we’re here for the main Vault Hunter level capacity, so let’s talk about the timeline.
- Launch – At launch, Borderlands 3 had a max level cap of 50 which is the same number as other Borderlands games that came before the third one.
- February 13th Patch – In 2020, the max level cap was eventually raised to level 53.
- March 26th Patch – This patch was released as a free update as a companion to the second DLC for the game which was called Guns, Love, and Tentacles. The patch raised the max level cap to Level 57.
- June 25th Patch – The game received another free update as a companion for the third DLC called Bounty of Blood. This patch allowed the game’s max level cap to reach 60, which is a significant change from the level cap for Borderlands 3 at launch.
- September 10, latest patch – The latest patch that caused a change in the game’s level capacity came in September 2020. This was again a companion to a DLC, which is the fourth one called Psycho Krieg and the Fantastic Fustercluck. This raised the max level cap to a total of 65 – which is currently unchanged despite the game receiving further updates over time.
So, to answer the question in easy words: the max level cap in Borderlands 3 is LVL 65. This will eventually allow you to be as strong as you need to be to breeze through the game and unlock all relevant skills for your Vault Hunter.
While the game has received more updates since September 2020, none of them have increased the level capacity further and there has been no implication from Gearbox that there will be another level capacity update either.
So, if you wish to feel that amazing feeling of your level increasing in the game, you’d be better off starting over with a new Vault Hunter who you can level up to the maximum capacity too. There’s certainly a chance that the game might receive more levels though because you cannot max out all skill trees in the game at the moment.
And that wraps up the topic of the maximum level cap in Borderlands 3. We hope that you’re already on your way to achieve this level, and we’re here to answer any questions that you might have.
Don’t forget to check out some of our other helpful gaming guides too while you’re here!