There are many different things in Dark Souls 3 that can affect the gameplay and stats of players, such as gear, core attributes, and spells.
But that’s not where it ends, as there is another category in the game called “Update Material”, which comes in different forms and can be used for many enhancements.
One of the most important types of Upgrade Materials in Dark Souls 3 is the Sharp Gem, which can be infused into weapons. This, in turn, makes them a Sharp weapon and greatly enhances them. If you’ve ever heard of the Sellsword Twinblades, then you know how much players love infusing that sword with Sharp Gems.
So, how exactly do Sharp Gems in Dark Souls 3 work? What’s the best way to farm them? Let’s jump into our Dark Souls 3 Sharp Gems guide and answer those important questions!
⚡ Gaming Deals too Good to Pass On ⚡
- 30" 2560 x 1080 FHD (A huge steal for the price).
- Push the limits of your system like never before.
- Razer Focus+ 26K DPI Optical Sensor: Best in class.
What Are Sharp Gems in Dark Souls 3?
Sharp Gems are a very important resource in Dark Souls 3. They are an Upgrade Material that can be infused into weapons. The weapon is then referred to as a Sharp weapon and it gains the bonus of greatly increasing the Dexterity scaling of that weapon.
Since many of the builds that players make in Dark Souls 3 are related to the Dexterity stat, this makes Sharp Gems a very important resource. There are a few drawbacks, however, as weapons that are infused with Sharp Gems suffer from a reduction in their Strength scaling, and the base damage of the weapon is slightly reduced too.
But weapons that scale well with Dexterity benefit immensely from Sharp infusions and one of the later updates in Dark Souls 3 even made high-level infusions better than before. Ideally, 60 Dexterity is when the infusion will truly become overpowered.
Keep in mind that Sharp Infusions aren’t possible from the very beginning – players must obtain the Farron Coal and then give it to Blacksmith Andre in Firelink Shrine first. Then, Sharp Infusions are unlocked and can be used.
Best Ways to farm Sharp Gems in Dark Souls 3
So, you know what Sharp Gems are and want to obtain them despite their few weaknesses. Although you’ll run into a few throughout your playthrough, obtaining large amounts takes a bit more precision.
So, what are the best locations and methods?
- Talon and Rapier crows drop Sharp Gems in the Painted World of Ariandel DLC. The most effective method is to just warp to the Corvian Settlement bonfire and then jump down to the river where you’ll find the Talon crows. This is the most common method with a high drop rate.
- Crystal Lizard on the rooftops in The Grand Archives drops it.
- Crystal Lizard near the Dilapidated Bridge bonfire in Undead Settlement drops it.
- Red-Eyed curved sword+shield Skeletons close to the Catacombs of Carthus bonfire drop it. Shotel-wielding Carthus Skeletons drop it as well. The likelihood is ultra-rare though – but that’s only based on fighting a few enemies. If you farm properly past the illusory wall, you’ll have a much better drop rate.
Once you’re done farming at these spots, you’ll have more Sharp Gems than you need.
That’s everything that you need to know about Sharp Gems in Dark Souls 3!
We hope that you found this guide useful, and while you’re still here, make sure to check out many of our other Dark Souls and Elden Ring guides too.